Teeth whitening is a popular way to combat tooth discoloration caused by aging, smoking, and the ingestion of dark-colored substances. Teeth whitening in Roblin is amongst the most popular cosmetic dentistry treatments. When done right, teeth whitening is very safe and effective; however, using the wrong method of teeth whitening near you can lead to permanent damage to your teeth.
Consequences of Improper Teeth Whitening
Teeth whitening must be done properly to avoid damage to your teeth. Examples of damage that improper whitening could cause include:
- Tooth sensitivity
- Gum irritation
- Patchy results
- Increased risk of tooth fracture
- Loss of protective tooth enamel
If you lose tooth enamel, your teeth will become more sensitive and darken in color. To avoid the risks of improper whitening, it is best to opt for safe at-home teeth whitening options or get professional teeth whitening from a dentist near you.
Methods for At-Home Teeth Whitening
Everyone wants a bright, white smile, but it is important to avoid methods that can damage your teeth. There are many remedies for at-home teeth whitening, and some are safer than others. Here are a few to consider:
- Baking Soda: As long as you are careful to brush gently, baking soda can eliminate stains from the surface of your teeth without damaging them.
- Whitening Strips: Whitening strips mold to the shape of your teeth to whiten them. Whitening strips are both safe and effective.
- Whitening Toothpaste: Since they contain low levels of hydrogen peroxide, whitening toothpastes can lighten the shade of your teeth.
Natural Teeth Whitening Methods to Avoid
A lot of people think that just because a whitening method is natural, it is safe, but this isn’t always the case. Make sure to stay away from these natural whitening methods:
- Lemon and Baking Soda: You definitely shouldn’t use this combination on your teeth. Lemon juice is very corrosive to tooth enamel, and while it may help lighten your teeth, it will do so at a significant cost to your oral health.
- Activated Charcoal: While the natural elements in activated charcoal work to remove stains from substances like wine and coffee, this method causes some concerns. Activated charcoal is highly abrasive and can damage the enamel of your teeth, as well as cause tooth erosion.
- Wood Ash: There is a myth that wood ash from a fireplace can whiten your teeth because it contains potassium hydroxide. However, this can be damaging to your teeth.
How to Keep Your Teeth White Through Daily Habits
While you cannot completely prevent discoloration, your diet plays a significant role in how your teeth look. Some foods such as broccoli, cauliflower, and pineapple have natural whitening properties, whereas substances such as berries, coffee, and tea contribute to staining.
Maintaining a good oral hygiene routine of brushing twice daily and flossing at least once daily will ensure that your teeth stay as white as possible. As well, it is important that you visit a dentist in Roblin at least once every six months for professional dental cleanings and checkups to keep your teeth looking sparkly and white.
Visit Roblin Dental Centre
While there are many safe ways to whiten your teeth, the safest and most effective way is to get professional teeth whitening near you. At Roblin Dental Centre, we are happy to provide our patients with professional in-office or at-home teeth whitening options. For a brighter, whiter smile, please contact out clinic to book a consultation today!